Thursday, April 7, 2022

Overcoming Writing Struggles

Hi there, Roxy Readers! While I was out on the water today, I was talking to one of my friends about how much I enjoy writing, and she asked me whether English had always been one of my best subjects. When I said no, she was surprised, and that got me thinking. I want to wash away the belief that if someone is a good writer, they’ve always been good, and if someone struggles with writing, they can never hope to improve. Let me tell you about one of my biggest writing challenges and how I overcame it.

Although I’ve enjoyed writing in my spare time for many years, I usually fell in the middle of the pack grade-wise in my English classes. In fact, it wasn’t until my sophomore year of high school that I decided to make a genuine effort at improving my writing. My English teacher that year returned my first essay, and I was shocked to see that I’d earned a C. It was passing, sure, but I’d worked hard on that essay; I enjoyed writing in my spare time, so a C was unacceptable to me. However, instead of feeling discouraged, I swore to myself that I would work hard, and, by the end of the year, I would make an A on an essay for that class.

Each essay that year found me working harder than the one before, and I poured over my teacher’s notes and suggestions, trying to pinpoint exactly what she wanted from me and how I could impress her. I also went to her class a few times after school to ask questions about her feedback. Each essay received a higher grade than the one before, but none of them had the A written on the top that I’d been striving toward. However, with each failure, I became more determined. By the time the last essay rolled around, I decided to use her notes and throw my past writing habits out, at least temporarily. I would incorporate all of her suggestions, and I would earn that A. I spent hours working on the essay, and after turning it in, I waited with bated breath to see if my efforts would pay off.

To my immense satisfaction, the efforts did pay off, and I had achieved my goal! I told myself that I would change my writing only for that essay, but I can see a clear divide between my writing before that year and my writing afterward. I might have only been striving toward making a better grade in that one class, but I improved my writing in general.

This experience is far from my only struggle with writing, but it is my favorite story to tell because I think it shows that writing is just like any other hobby or skill. We don’t expect ourselves to excel the first time we try to cook. We know that it will take time, practice, and effort to become a good chef. The same is true of writing. I encourage you to practice, to be patient with yourself, and to seek out help when you need it or have questions. Speak with your professors about your writing and their feedback. They will likely respect your desire to improve your writing, and if you’re a Del Mar student, consider coming to the Stone Writing Center to work with a tutor on your writing. We can certainly get you on the right track! The writing center is a resource I wish I’d had access to as a sophomore in high school, and I bet I would’ve earned that A even earlier in the semester with their guidance.

Thank you, Roxy Readers. I appreciate all of you, and I believe that each of you has a wonderful writer within you. Be sure to give your inner writer what they need to shine!

See you next time the sun is up, the breeze is cool, and the waves roll into view. ‘Til then, hang ten!

Roxy

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive