Thursday, April 28, 2022

Avoiding Bias in Writing

 

Hey there, Roxy Readers! I saw the forecast today and couldn’t pass up a day on the waves, but while I was out there, I started thinking about biased writing. The thought stayed with me as I surfed the day away, and as soon as I got home, I sat down at my computer with the hope of talking to all of you about how to avoid biased writing.

We all have strong beliefs, and it’s nearly impossible to hear or see a topic without letting our feelings color it. Yet, it’s important to avoid bias when writing, especially if it’s academic writing. Think of it like this: when we write, we usually have a goal in mind, whether it’s getting an acceptable grade on an assignment, convincing our audience to believe what we do, or educating someone on a topic. In all of these cases, it’s important not to exclude or offend the reader because they might stop reading or, worse, angrily read the rest of our writing and disagree with everything we say because they feel it’s biased.

Now, what does bias look like? Let’s say that I’m about to adopt a new pet, and one of my friends told me, “Whatever you do, don’t get a cat. Those things are mean and only care about themselves. If you get one, you must like suffering.” My friend has made several claims here, most of which can’t be proven, and it’s clear that they will dislike cats regardless of what an individual cat’s personality is like. In other words, my friend seems biased. Because I’ve had several nice cats in my life, I know for a fact that they aren’t all mean and we can’t know for sure what a cat is thinking, so my friend’s claim that cats only care about themselves can’t be proven. Finally, my friend made an assumption about the personalities of cat owners. As someone who has had cats all my life, I know that their claim about cat-owners isn’t true. That means whatever credibility my friend might have had is now gone because I can say for sure that one claim they made has no facts to back it up.

I would be far more likely to listen if my friend said, “What you adopt depends on what you’re looking for, but since you spend a lot of time out on the beach with friends, I think a dog would be the best choice for you. Some cats might match your personality, but you’re more likely to find a dog that enjoys your lifestyle.” In this case, the only assumption my friend made about me—that I spend a lot of time at the beach with friends—is true and provable. Despite their knowledge of my habits, my friend didn’t assume that I would automatically want a dog; they left the choice up to me. Additionally, they gave reasoning to support their claims and admitted that the other side might have a point. I would be even more likely to adopt a dog if they gave me links to the American Kennel Club (AKC) website for a breed of dog that matched my personality and lifestyle since I know the AKC has factual, trustworthy information.

Another way I like to think about bias is pretending I’m having an argument with someone. Any time someone in an argument gets heated, the other party gets angry as well. If both parties wind up yelling at each other, more than likely, neither of them is really hearing or absorbing what the other person is saying. Bias can operate the same way. As I write, I like to imagine that I’m talking to a friend or family member who would disagree with what I’m discussing. If I think they would be likely to get upset or tune me out, I know that I need to rethink how I’m saying something.

Remember, Roxy Readers: you will have far more success with your writing if you’re careful to support everything you say with facts and examples, especially if you’re careful to make those that disagree with you feel heard. Just because they disagree does not make them any less deserving of your respect and kindness.

See you next time the sun is up, the breeze is cool, and the waves roll into view. ‘Til then, hang ten!

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive