Tuesday, March 26, 2013

What It Is

If I tell you that I think the sky is blue today, my statement leaves room for you to wonder if the sky is actually blue instead of grey or some other weird and unnatural color simply because I have used the words “I think.” Using other language, such as “I believe” or “It seems to me” or “I feel,” also gives the reader ample reason to question what you’ve said.

The sky is blue today. There is no doubt in that statement. I have stated it as a fact, not something that might just be all in my mind, merely a thought, and possibly not even true.

The writer of an essay is expressing his ideas on a given subject. There is no reason to cause readers to question what is said. Consider the following two directives:

1.      James, I think maybe you should feed the seagulls.

2.      James, you must feed the seagulls.

Which one is more likely to convince James to feed the seagulls?  The first sentence might well leave the birds hungry and squawking for free corn chips and pieces of bread since it is just a thought, not a clear statement of what James must do.

“That’s what you think,” James might respond.

Other lines that weaken essays are those that tell the reader that the writer is going to say something. “I will tell you” or “I am going to write” or “I will describe” -  all of these announcements of intention are unnecessary fillers. Just tell the reader, without first telling him that you are going to tell him.

Straightforward statements convince the reader that what you have written is backed by your authority and knowledge. I believe I feel that’s maybe what I think anyway.

See you next time the breeze is cool, the sun is up, and the waves roll into view! ‘Til then, hang ten!

 

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive