Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Believing in Yourself

Self-esteem is an idea whose time seems to have come; but according to my old Aunt Christie, it wasn’t always expected that people would admire themselves much at all. The difference, according to Aunt Christie, has to do with accomplishments that lead to feeling good. She said, “It’s like ‘counting your chickens before they’re hatched’ when you feel great about yourself without having done anything to prove yourself worthy of esteem, your own or any other’s.” In fact, Aunt Christie appears to think that feeling a bit unworthy acts as an impetus to force a person to strive to achieve a goal (maybe just to avoid feeling unworthy).

I can see the points she makes; but there are other factors to consider, such as believing that you can reach a goal and trusting that you are capable of attaining success in the field you choose. You don’t have to be a braggart or be ostentatiously vain, but it is an excellent idea to give yourself credit for the ability to determine a course and stick to it, gaining the skills you need as you continue. A middle ground, a compromise might be to first tell yourself that, yes, you are worthy of esteem and are able to do what you decide to do to prove that worth.

Before I ever got near the beach with a surfboard, I couldn’t say that I was a surfer. Once I learned, however, I could say, and feel right about saying, “I am a surfer.” What I did tell myself before I began was that I could learn. I had enough self-esteem to try.

Pride in something actually accomplished is ever so much better than words without deeds to back them up. Whatever it is that you seek to do in your life, giving yourself a boost by telling yourself that you do have the ability to try is just the kind of beginning point that leads to actually doing the work it takes to succeed.

Having self-esteem is a starting place, an attitude that can give you the confidence you need to begin to work and plan a path to reach your goals.        

See you next time the breeze is cool, the sun is up, and the waves roll into view! ‘Til then, hang ten!

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive