Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Dreaded Sentence Fragment

Roxy Writer here, coming to you from the Stone Writing Center @ Del Mar College.

A common problem many students encounter when doing academic writing is the dreaded sentence fragment. So, I thought this would make an excellent topic for my newest entry.

“When I began to write about fragments….”

What happened? Did the idea overwhelm me? Did I draw a blank? Did I have a clue? There is a subject ( “I” ) and a verb ( “began” ), but I have not written a complete sentence. What I have written is a fragment simply because the thought is incomplete. I have left the reader wondering what happened as I began to write.

When I began to write about fragments, I decided to say that most fragments occur when the total meaning of the sentence is absent, unspoken, not written down. Consider the following very short tale:

“Because the tiger was wild. When the moon rose over the zoo. Thunder booming. During his recapture. After they built a larger cage.”

I have left details to the reader’s imagination, and most readers will automatically think of something to fill in the gaps and thereby complete the meaning of each fragment, making each a complete sentence in their minds.

“Because the tiger was wild, ____________. When the moon rose over the zoo, ____________. Thunder _________booming.
During his recapture, ____________. After they built a larger area ____________________.”

The problem is that I have left the meaning of the story up to the reader by not finishing my thoughts. Fragments leave room for the reader to imagine as he will, but does someone else know what I think happened to the tiger?

“Because the tiger was wild, he hated his cage. When the moon rose over the zoo, he made his escape. Thunder was booming, which covered the sounds of his breaking the lock. During his recapture, a zookeeper considered how the tiger felt. After they built a larger area for the tiger, he did not think of escaping again.”

Unless you trust your reader to fill in the blanks left by fragments in your writing, it would be wise for you to make sure that you have expressed a complete thought—your own.

Roxy’s tip: Express a complete thought! Don’t leave blanks for your reader.

See you next time the breeze is cool, the sun is up, and the waves roll into view! My next entry is coming soon. ‘Til then, hang ten!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you can easily get things done and know about the fragment side there. Hop into this useful site http://www.corporateprofileservices.com/our-corporate-profile-services/ for getting corporate profile service with cheap cost.

yen said...

sometimes you are really careful with the sentence making but yet you cannot get it. Here http://www.paraphrasegenerator.biz/our-services/ you will see our paraphrase generation tools which will work for our side.

nill said...

If you get such kind of opportunities then you are the one among those lucky people. You go to website for best ideas here then you will know about the wavier writing service.

Hildegard Flatley said...

This review has a great topic. Visit this http://www.originalitycheck.net/originality-checker-free-for-teachers/ source to know different plagiarism techniques. I have read this completely; I think it will be helpful for me in my work. This topic makes my motivated so I liked it so much.

Hildegard Flatley said...

Computerized x-beams has numerous inconveniences however it is greatly exceptional than past x-beams practice. Reading this https://www.passivevoicecorrector.com/make-your-text-stronger-with-automatic-passive-voice-fixer/ artilce will help you in finding best passive voice corrector. You have caused a short examination about the intricacies to include in present day.

Followers

Blog Archive