Tuesday, September 11, 2012

First Impressions

When I’m meeting new people at the beach, I like to let them know who I am quickly. Since they don’t know who I am yet, I want them to know important details about me. So I might tell them my name, how often I surf, the beaches I visit, the kinds of waves I like, or anything else that might be useful to them. Because these new friends are just meeting me for the first time, it’s safe to assume that they won’t know anything about me at first. I want to be helpful to my new friends, so I briefly give them what they need to know.

The same is true when you’re writing an introductory paragraph. Many people get easily frightened by the blank page and feel like they don’t know where to begin writing. This is normal. However, once you start writing, the blank space becomes smaller and easier to manage.

The purpose of the introduction is to introduce your main idea to your audience. In an introductory paragraph, you’ll generally want to mention your topic to the reader. If there’s any important background information that the audience needs to know, it’s a good idea to explain it briefly so they can follow the conversation. Eventually, you may want to end your intro with your thesis statement, which explains why you’re writing the essay and the message you want them to receive.

When deciding what information to include, think about the needs of your audience. Unless you know that the audience you’re writing for understands your topic, always be clear with your explanations. When in doubt, assume that you’re meeting your reader for the first time and that they don’t know anything about your topic. Just as in a conversation, make sure that your purpose is clear and that your reader is interested in what you have to say.

Remember, the introduction is your first impression to the reader, so always put your best foot forward.

Speaking of first impressions, here is a shot of what greets students who enter the Stone Writing Center.



We hope our first impression speaks welcome. Come by and let us know what you think.

See you next time the breeze is cool, the sun is up, and the waves roll into view! ‘Til then, hang ten!

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive