Tuesday, November 19, 2019

A Few More Tutors to Meet, Part 5

Baking & Writing - some of my favorite things!
Sarah
Greetings and salutations! My name is Sarah, and I am an instructional consultant at the Stone Writing Center. In 2013, I graduated from Texas A&M University - Corpus Christi with a Bachelor of Arts in Studio Art, and in 2016, I graduated from Oklahoma State University with a Master of Arts in Art History. In terms of consultations, my areas of expertise include argumentative essays, academic research, and descriptive language. One thing I enjoy regarding writing is that entire worlds can be created by just a sequence of words. Words are used every day, and so many take them for granted.


Most people do not know that I am a skilled artist. I can paint in oils, acrylics, and watercolors. I can draw in graphite, ink, and charcoal. I am knowledgeable in a diverse range of design styles, such as space/shape harmony, wire construction, and graphic design. In addition to two-dimensional art, I can execute several forms of three-dimensional art. I can sculpt in a variety of methods including clay, wax, metal, and wood. I am also trained in printmaking, specifically woodcuts, linocuts, etchings, lithography, and monotypes. Furthermore, I am well-versed in the art of ceramics, otherwise known as “functional art.” I can assemble tumblers, bowls, goblets, pitchers, and coffee mugs. My studio concentration was photography. My strength is digital photography, but I have the ability to engage in darkroom photography, which includes cyanotypes, silver nitrates, and gum bichromates. Art history was always my focus, even when I studied studio art. I do, however, consider myself an artist before anything because I have been drawing and painting since I was four years old. I knew I loved to create art before I knew I loved to write and long before I knew I loved to research the history of art.  

Danyela
My name is Danyela, and I’ve been a writing consultant for more than 3 years. My education includes a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry with a concentration in Biochemistry with a double-major in Biomedical Sciences and a minor in English from Texas A&M University - Corpus Christi (TAMU-CC). I also earned a Master of Arts in English from TAMU-CC. Thanks to my interdisciplinary training, I have presented research on STEM writers, and other related subjects in medical humanities, at both local and out-of-state conferences. My areas of expertise include literary analyses, scientific writing, MLA and APA documentation styles, and research processes. 
Timed writing!

My favorite thing about writing is that anyone and everyone can get better at it with practice! If I could tell my younger-student-self anything, it would be just that. You will encounter challenges that you will be unsure about tackling. Rather than imagining the worst-case scenarios, try imagining the best! You’ll find you are more capable than you think. 

My sassy maltipoo, Wendy, keeps me company when I write, and the faces she makes absolutely crack me up. My favorite writing tool is the timer on my phone. I find it helpful to time both writing and break times to limit distractions and stay on task. When it’s time for a break, I love watching The Office. In fact, I can easily identify episodes based on any quote. Come visit with me at Stone and see!

Chris
My name is Chris, and I have a bachelor’s degree from The University of Texas at Austin. My area of expertise is communication. My favorite thing about writing is that it is always there. In a lot of cases, writing is can be helpful because you can always refer to it. For example, if you have instructions for an assignment, it is very beneficial to have those instructions in writing so you can always refer to them. When people are verbally told instructions, they tend to forget details really quickly.
I like playing basketball.


An early experience where I learned language had power was when I was a kid in California. Growing up in San Diego and frequently being in Los Angeles exposed me to countless different languages. When you get around a group of people that all speak another language and you cannot understand anything that is being said, you tend to feel like an outsider. Because of this, I picked up different phrases and expressions in Ethiopian, Spanish, Korean, etc.
Getting ready to write.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive