Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Part 4 of Meet the SWC Tutors!


This is me and the one that keeps me busy!
Caroline
My name is Caroline, and I used to work as an on-campus Instructional Consultant. I now work remotely for Stone Writing Center Online. I have a BA in English from Ole Miss and my MFA in Creative Writing from the University of Maryland.  My master's focused in poetry, so that is my favorite genre of writing. However, I enjoy helping students with ALL types of writing. It’s so fun to play with language. If I could tell my younger student self anything, it would be to take more diverse class electives. I know a business course or two would’ve helped me in “real life.”


How I write
I learned at a young age that words hold incredible power. All through my schooling, we had to memorize poetry or Bible verses. Some of the passages gave me feelings I did not have the emotional language for yet, but I knew that those words and passages were important to me and many people.

Something few people know I am good at: I am good at assembling furniture and doing general handyman housework. I attribute most of this to moving so many times in adulthood. I had to break down and reassemble lots of furniture along the way!


Hi!
Brittany
My mother loved Alvin and the Chipmunks, so she named me after the Chipette, Brittany. I learned that language--including names--had power at a young age. My mom fell ill when I was a child, and my name served as one of my only connections to her. The name, Brittany, symbolizes my mother’s love, and I will always cherish this gift she gave me. Language and writing continue to shape me as I achieve my life goals. I graduated in the summer of 2018 with a master’s in public history from Texas State University, and I consider myself an expert in historical research and writing. Using these skills, I am able to help students with primary source research and using an active voice in their writing. Although I consider myself a decent writer, my favorite part of the writing process is brainstorming. I love coming up with fantastical ideas and pushing my analysis skills to their limits. When it comes to writing, I think it is important not to feel confined. If it makes sense to me, I can figure out a way to convey that meaning to someone else in writing and so can everyone else, which is a beautiful thing.
My favorites!
Jackie
My name is Jacqueline, and I absolutely love my job as an Instructional Consultant at the Stone Writing Center. I obtained a Bachelor of Liberal Arts in English from TAMU-CC in December 2012. I am currently working on a Master of Arts in English with a concentration in Non-Fiction Creative Writing. 

Raised in a Spanish-speaking household, I quickly learned that language had power the moment I set foot in the classroom filled with children who spoke only English. I attended private school, so at the time, there was no support staff to help guide me as I learned to speak English. My best friends in school consisted of a dictionary, a thesaurus, an encyclopedia, my pink fluffy pen, and my notebook. I am grateful for this experience because I not only learned a new language, but I also gained a love of learning, research, and writing. 
Reading and Writing!

Writing is a relaxing tool that gives me the ability to express my inner thoughts and creative ideas. The writing process encourages a path of thinking and expanding on your thoughts and ideas. There are no limits to writing; it allows a writer the ability to spark their imagination and create unique content. 
I enjoy working with students in all areas of writing, but my areas of expertise are in essay organization and journalism. I believe that a well-organized essay is not only visually appealing, but also allows the writer to connect with the reader in a logical manner. As a side job, I am a contributing writer for both The Bend magazine and Inspire Coastal Bend Magazine, where organization is paramount in the work I produce. I look forward to working with all our students and inspiring their creative minds to shine through their writing. Happy Writing!

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive