Friday, August 28, 2015

Welcome Back to School!

Hey Roxy fans,
It's okay that summer's over. I'm excited to be back for the fall semester. Time to start writing! One thing I’ve learned from my years of surfing: If you’re waiting for the perfect wave to come along before you jump on your board, you’ll end up dog-paddling the day away! The same lesson is true for writing; if you’re waiting to get started on an essay until the perfect intro or a fabulous thesis pops into your mind, all you will have at the end of the day is a blank page and a mounting sense of frustration.

I know starting an essay can seem really intimidating, but it's best to dive right in.  Just write something. Getting your first idea (even if it’s really rough) down on the page will make it easier to right the next sentence and the next, and before you know it, you have written several paragraphs! 

Having trouble getting started? Don't worry about wiping out on your first try. That’s why it’s called a rough draft! There will be plenty of time later to revise and polish until your writing looks as effortless as a pro surfer. 

Practice makes perfect whether it’s in writing or surfing.  So if you have an essay that you are worried about, I challenge you to put down your board (just for a bit), pick up a pen, and start writing something. (Sometimes, I even start with “I don’t know what to write. I don’t know what to write. I don’t know what…and then the ideas come rolling in, and I am off!)

Remember that you are not alone! Everyone is back at the SWC and raring to go. We can help you in any stage of the writing process! Come see us.

Roxy’s tip: Just do it! Start writing, and the ideas will come!

See you next time the breeze is cool, the sun is up, and the waves roll into view! ‘Til then, hang ten!

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive