Tuesday, November 11, 2014

You Decide!

Hello again, Roxy Readers – I’ve been sitting on the shore, watching the constant motion of the waves rolling in and out. It’s what I like to do before I grab my board and hit the water. Like surfers, writers need to decide what method works best for them. Many students believe that introductions must be written first, then body paragraphs, and finally a conclusion. It took a while before I learned it didn’t have to be that way. Wow! You get to decide where to start.

Everyday students tell me they can’t start writing because they have no idea what their introduction is going to be. I tell them, “That’s okay, because you don’t have to write your introduction first!”

It’s better to get something on the page than to just sit there frustrated, right? Writing my introduction last works for me. Having trouble with the intro? Start with the body paragraphs. Remember, you steer the process. You need to write in whatever way makes sense to you. As long as it’s in the correct order when you finish, you’re good. I promise.

The writing process is creative, and the creative process is messy. It doesn’t have to start out pretty; in fact, it probably won’t. Don’t worry about how it looks when you’re drafting, your teacher just wants to see a polished end product. I hope this helps you in your journey to becoming an amazing writer.

Roxy’s Tip: There is no one “right” way to write. Discover what works for you, and then dive into the writing process wherever you’re comfortable.

See you next time the breeze is cool, the sun is up, and the waves roll into view! My next entry is coming soon. 'Til then, hang ten!


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive