Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Words are Powerful

Words, like killer waves, are powerful.


What we say about ourselves can make a difference in how we feel and even how well we do in our work. I often hear students say, “I’m a bad writer” or “I can’t write!”

When I hear students express such opinions, I ask them, “Do you text? Do you tweet? Do you write songs, poetry, short stories?” When they inevitably say, “Yes,” I then tell them, “Then you write, and you’re a writer!”

What students often mean when they say “I can’t write” is that they do not feel comfortable writing academic essays.  Fair enough. Academic essays are a specialized type of writing with specific requirements and grading criteria.

The good news is—there is help available! The SWC has writing tutors to help with every aspect of the writing process, from helping students understand the assignment requirements, to brainstorming ideas, to revising. We also provide additional resources on our website www.delmar.edu/swc.

Writing, like surfing, takes practice. I did not learn to surf in one day, and I had to ask questions and get advice from more experienced surfers. I've also wiped out more times than I can remember. The same holds true for writing: each time you put your pen to paper or begin typing words on a screen, you are becoming a stronger writer.

Roxy’s tip: Don’t say “I can’t write.” Instead say, “I must practice my writing!” 

Remember, with every essay you complete, you are becoming a more effective writer.

See you next time the breeze is cool, the sun is up, and the waves roll into view! My next entry is coming soon. ‘Til then, hang ten!

6 comments:

stevenjocb said...

This is good post. Wikipedia

Guest said...

Numerous great innovations are making your approaches to make some quality work in your field. Proficient author dependably utilize most recent advancements to look at more info to pick up consideration of others. As well as can be expected be done through these advances and have the best outcomes for your profession and future.

Anonymous said...

Great post, a few people go for the long separation for the best associations. These sorts of the spots are so cool and you can try this out for individuals like it since they offer every something which they require.

Anonymouse said...

Amazing news, The thing is when such sorts of sentences are phrases are being urged to the understudies with the target that they will come to think in a course as the flawlessness is the essential concern which they need to reach in their life. You can read here and get numerous new thoughts and tips.

Hildegard Flatley said...

Essay writing and other assignments are the things which are helpful for building the career if a student. Try to improve grammar by clicking here http://www.englishgrammarcheck.org/most-popular-free-english-grammar-check-applications/ once. These two things play a most important role for understanding the ability and other skills of a student.

Hildegard Flatley said...

Essay writing has been a difficult task for me. Everyone doesn’t like this thing in his life but this is not as bad as we think. Read here how I got writing service online. This is the best and good article for you to understand the best techniques for writing the best essays.

Followers

Blog Archive